Friday, May 18, 2007

Welcome to SMB Paper Free, a small (and medium) business document management resource. Here, I hope to provide relevant information on the nuances of document management, including why it's important, how to accomplish a significant (and cost-effective) reduction in paper, and some of the benefits (and costs) of doing so.

I have six years of experience with all aspects of document management, from document creation, output, and distribution, through storage, retention, and destruction. I've consulted with organizations ranging from sole proprietorships through Fortune 500 businesses on how to improve efficiency and reduce the costs associated with paper.

According to IDC, "IDC end-user research has confirmed that companies spend approximately 10% of their revenue on document production, management and distribution." (– The Expanding Role of Document Accounting Systems, IDC 2001) This means that just about any organization can make a significant impact on their profitability by reducing their reliance on paper.

I can't promise that you'll accomplish such tremendous savings, but at the very least I hope to provide information to help you make informed decisions about how, when, and where a document management strategy can make sense for your organization. I hope you'll let me know if you have questions and require additional information; you may have unique considerations, and I'll be happy to help as I can.

And so, enjoy. Comment as you want, and again, welcome to SMB Paper Free!

No comments: